Saturday, March 25, 2023 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Whole Farm Assistance Sign-Ups Start Jan. 4

WASHINGTON (CN) - Farmers with at least a 10 percent production loss due to disaster on a crop of economic significance to their farm, may be eligible for the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments Program.

To qualify, the farmers must have signed up for a certain amount of insurance under the Federal Crop Insurance Act or noninsured crop disaster assistance program. Losses may be crop production losses, or crop quality losses, or both, occurring in crop year 2008 through Sept. 30, 2011.

Farmers may sign-up for payments at their county USDA Farm Service Agency office, beginning Jan. 4.

All crops for which crop insurance or noninsured crop disaster assistance program coverage is available are eligible crops for the SURE.

Farms must be in a county for which a Secretarial disaster declaration has been issued or a county contiguous to such a county, or on a participant's farm with an overall loss greater than 50 percent of normal production (expected revenue for all crops on the farm) due to disaster.

Read the Top 8

Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.