Wal-Mart Blamed for Ghastly Grandma Death

     PITTSBURGH (CN) — A Pennsylvania woman coughed up blood and died, her children and grandchild looking on, while being cruelly detained by Wal-Mart security, the family claims in court.
     It happened just last month, according to the complaint, while Angela Beverly and her family shopped on April 19 at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in North Versailles.
     Beverly’s mother, Estelle Hayes, filed the suit on May 9, in the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, but does not appear to have been shopping that day.
     She says two loss-prevention officers stopped Beverly as she tried to exit the store at about 1:30 p.m.
     They forcefully brought Beverly into an office, according to the complaint, even though Beverly’s daughter immediately notified them that the woman “had recently had surgery and was in poor and fragile health.”
     Beverly had previously undergone open-heart surgery, and she had stents in her heart. “Due to her medical condition, any agitation or elevation in blood pressure could result in adverse medical consequences,” the complaint explains.
     The officers ignored repeated complaints from Beverly’s family about the woman’s poor health, and they “ignored the obvious signs that [Beverly] was experiencing a medical emergency and in need of medical assistance,” according to the complaint.
     Several minutes had passed when Beverly began vomiting blood, the complaint states. She was allegedly sweating, unable to speak or maintain eye contact.
     In addition to not getting Beverly medical attention, the officers barred the woman’s family from entering the office, according to the complaint.
     Beverly “continued to vomit blood in the loss-prevention office until she lost consciousness and eventually died,” the complaint states.
     The family allegedly watched her die from the hallway outside the office.
     An ambulance finally took Beverly to Forbes Regional Hospital in Monroeville, where she was declared dead, according to the complaint.
     The family seeks punitive damages for negligence and wrongful death. They are represented by Jesse Pettit of Pettit & Spontak.
     Both Wal-Mart and the loss-prevention office of the supercenter in North Versailles declined to comment on the lawsuit.

%d bloggers like this: