LOS ANGELES (CN) - Marion "Suge" Knight will have to wait until next month for his bail review hearing after prosecutors said they had a "stack" of uncharged criminal allegations against the former rap mogul.
Knight, 49, pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder, and hit-and-run charges last week. If convicted, he faces life in state prison under California's three-strikes law.
Knight's attorney David E. Kenner said he had "very little" from the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office and had asked the court to delay the hearing until he has time to review the new allegations.
Kenner said he would not be able to look at the claims until March 9. The court continued the hearing until March 20.
"I don't know what people have made up or what they said or anything of that nature," Kenner said in court Monday. "That's why I need the material, so I can be prepared to cross-examine anybody to make sure that what we're getting is the truth."
Knight is accused of running over two men with his Ford pickup in the parking lot of Tam's Burgers on Rosecrans Avenue on Jan. 29, while an ad for the biographical movie "Straight Outta Compton," about rap group N.W.A., was being filmed.
Knight is accused of killing his longtime friend Terry Carter, 55, and critically injuring film technician Cle Denyale "Bone" Sloan, 51, after an altercation with Sloan at the restaurant. According to authorities, Carter was not involved in the fight.
Knight appeared Monday before Superior Court Judge Ricardo R. Ocampo at the Compton courthouse. At his arraignment last week he had been rushed to a hospital after complaining of chest pain.
Dressed in orange prison garb, Knight appeared healthy.
"I have a very large stack of uncharged crimes" connected to Knight, Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes said at the morning hearing.
Kenner had asked the judge to allow Knight to see a private doctor.
Judge Ocampo denied the request and said that county medical staff are "competent" to evaluate him.
Kenner said that Knight has blood clots, and that last Monday, Feb. 2, he had trouble breathing and passed out. Kenner said county medical staff would evaluate Knight, and hoped the court would allow Knight to see a private physician.
The attorney said that Knight was "optimistic" about the case but not so confident about his health, because his client was not getting the care he needs.
"Right now we're at the mercy of what the Los Angeles county jail decides is appropriate or not appropriate. It's my understanding that what's happening is not appropriate," Kenner said.
Judge Ocampo said Knight is allowed face-to-face visits and use of a computer. Knight's attorney said the rap mogul is limited to using the computer to review case related documents.
After his arrest, Knight was initially held on a $2 million bond, but bail was revoked because he is considered a flight risk.
Knight allegedly fled after the incident. Knight claimed that he accidentally ran over the men because he feared for his life, according to attorney James Blatt, who represented Knight before Kenner took over.
"We feel strongly Mr. Knight did not do anything wrong in this matter," Blatt said. "He was attacked by a number of individuals; that has already been corroborated by certain witnesses. He left the scene because he was in fear for his safety and life."
A feud between West Coast and East Coast rappers in the mid-1990s - with Knight at the center - heightened the rap mogul's notoriety.
Knight was driving the car carrying rapper Tupac Shakur when the rap star was shot to death in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas on Sept. 7, 1996.
Knight spent four years in prison for violating probation for assault and weapons offenses.
In August last year, Knight was shot six times at a party in Hollywood hosted by Chris Brown to promote the singer's latest album.
Read the Top 8
Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.