RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — A top Palestinian official says the Palestinians have filed a war crimes claim against Israel at the International Criminal Court over its planned razing of a West Bank Bedouin hamlet.
Saeb Erekat says Israel should be held accountable for its plan on Khan al-Ahmar.
The Khan al-Ahmar encampment has focused attention on what critics say is the continued displacement of Palestinians by Israel. European countries urged Israel this week to refrain from demolition.
Israel says Khan al-Ahmar was illegally built and has offered to resettle residents 12 kilometers (7 miles) away. Critics say its removal is meant to make room for an Israeli settlement.
Israel’s Supreme Court rejected an appeal last week, paving the way for demolition.
Palestinian activist Abdallah Abu Rahmeh said Tuesday that setting up the white shipping containers, one with a Palestinian flag, is a message to Israel that “it’s our right to build on our land.”