Saturday, January 28, 2023 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Man Claims E-Smoke|Exploded in His Face

DENVER (CN) - A man was hospitalized for eight days after an electronic cigarette exploded in his face, sending "burning debris and battery acid into his mouth, face, and eyes," the e-smoker claims in Federal Court.

Phillip Hahn sued Pure Enterprises dba Puresmoker.com and Ignition L.P., on a variety of charges, and his wife sued for loss of consortium.

Hahn says he "purchased a Prodigy V3.1 electronic cigarette device from Pure Enterprises' online store, at the website address of puresmoker.com."

After buying the proper batteries from a (nonparty) RadioShack the next day, "Phillip Hahn was using the Prodigy energized by the Enercell batteries at his residence when the Enercell batteries inside the Prodigy suddenly and unexpectedly exploded," the complaint states.

"The explosion sent burning debris and battery acid into Phillip Hahn's mouth, face, and eyes, and as a result, Phillip Hahn sustained catastrophic injuries.

"At all times relevant hereto, Theresa Hahn was in the zone of danger and contemporaneously observed the incident and Phillip Hahn's injuries and immediately called 911.

"Phillip Hahn was transported by ambulance to Northern Colorado Medical Center where he remained for eight (8) days."

The Hahns claim the defendants made numerous false claims about their product, including "'USA-Made High Quality,' ... and 'thousands of hours of research, design and testing have resulted in the high-caliber devices you see here today.'"

They seek damages for product liability, defective design and manufacture, negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, failure to warn, and other charges.

They are represented by Arron Nesbitt with Taylor Anderson.

Read the Top 8

Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.

Loading
Loading...