Updates to our Terms of Use

We are updating our Terms of Use. Please carefully review the updated Terms before proceeding to our website.

Monday, April 22, 2024 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Guest Sues After Casino Fire

LAS VEGAS (CN) - A guest at the Monte Carlo Resort and Casino during the 2008 fire there has sued the hotel, claiming she was exposed to smoke, fumes and other "airborne toxins" from the blaze.

Jean Bartoli was a guest at the Monte Carlo when the fire broke out Jan. 25, 2008. She claims in Clark County Court that she and other guests were taken to an unspecified area shortly after the fire broke out, where they were subjected to smoke, fumes and other toxins.

She says the hotel failed to prevent the fire, and failed to keep it from spreading.

The fire charred the top two floors of the 32-story Strip casino; no major injuries were reported by the media. The fire brought back to mind Nevada's deadliest fire, in 1980, when 87 people were killed in a blaze at the old MGM Grand.

Bartoli seeks unspecified damages for negligence. She is represented by Robert Cottle with Mainor Eglet.

Categories / Uncategorized

Subscribe to Closing Arguments

Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.

Loading...