Thursday, September 28, 2023
Courthouse News Service
Thursday, September 28, 2023 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Family Says 8-Year-Old Boy|Was Electrocuted at a Public Park

TUCSON (CN) - An 8-year-old boy was electrocuted after a baseball game at Reid Park by an ungrounded electrical box that Fluoresco Lighting Sign Maintenance buried just 3 inches below ground in the parking lot, his parents claim in Pima County Court.

The parents say their son, Deshun Chance Glover, died from a shock that came from a corroded "electrical pull box with a metal lid cover," into which cables had been shoved improperly.

The family was watching their son, Daniel, play an American Legion game at Reid Park on July 25, 2008. The game was called because of rain. The mother claims that as they walked across the parking lot to their car, her 3-year-old son began screaming, "It's biting me! It's biting me!" She says she picked him up and felt an electrical shock. She handed him to his 16-year-old brother, who also felt a shock. Then her 8-year-old said, "I can't walk." He fell over backward and his mom says she was shocked every time she touched him to try to help. The same thing happened to a dozen people who tried to help, she says. He died that day.

The family demands punitive damages for wrongful death, emotional distress and personal injuries. They are represented by Matthew Cunningham of Phoenix.

Categories / Uncategorized

Read the Top 8

Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.