Child Support

WASHINGTON (CN) – The kid’s 18 so the deadbeat dad thinks he doesn’t have to pay back child support? Think again. Any person who has been ordered to pay child support now may have the amount taken from his or her federal income tax refund even if the child on behalf of whom child support was owed is no longer a minor.
The Treasury Department’s Financial Management Service has removed from the regulations the requirement that the child be disabled or a minor for the state to be able to collect past support obligations by giving the deadbeat parent their federal refund check, minus what he or she owes on behalf of that child. Any money collected goes first to reimburse the state, second, to the federal government, and third, to the person for whom the support was initially meant. Click here for details and other new regulations.

%d bloggers like this: