Bundy Defendants Get Extended Deadlines

LAS VEGAS (CN) — Cliven Bundy and his son Ryan were given extra time for their case management deadlines in the federal government’s case against them in Nevada.
     U.S. Magistrate Judge Peggy Leen last week extended case management deadlines until Oct. 17 for the two Bundys and two of their co-defendants, Brian D. Cavalier and O. Scott Drexler.
     Each is charged with up to 16 felonies stemming from an April 2014 standoff with the Bureau of Land Management and federal and local law enforcement near the Bundy ranch near Bunkerville, Nev., about 60 miles northeast of Las Vegas.
     Cliven Bundy is seeking a new attorney, as his attorney Joel Hansen needs back surgery that will require 12 weeks of recuperation.
     Leen on Sept. 30 gave Cliven Bundy two weeks to find a new attorney, and Hansen agreed to remain as his legal counsel for 30 days. A hearing on Thursday morning will address the matter.
     Ryan Bundy is Cliven’s second-oldest son. Cavalier, 44, of Bunkerville, acted as Cliven Bundy’s bodyguard during the standoff.
     In a June 29 hearing, Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicholas Dickinson said Drexler, of Challis, Idaho, with a high-powered rifle, was among the gunmen who set up on an interstate overpass and posed a significant threat to law enforcement and BLM officials.
     Drexler’s attorney, Craig Drummond, of Las Vegas, said Drexler never was a threat and used his riflescope only to see what was happening.
     All Bundy defendants face up to 80 years in prison on up to 16 felony charges. Cliven Bundy also faces a $3 million fine for unpaid federal grazing fees and penalties for interfering with the BLM.
     Two co-defendants pleaded guilty and await sentencing. The rest are scheduled for trial starting Feb. 6.

%d bloggers like this: