MIAMI (CN) – Unbeaten middleweight Michael Oliveira claims his trainer duped him for money that he spent on himself rather than using it to promote the boxer, as promised. Oliveira, a 20-year-old Brazilian who fights out of Miami, is the U.S. Boxing Association’s 11th-ranked middleweight.
Oliveira has a 13-0 record as a professional, with 11 knockouts.
He accuses his trainer, Dan Kalinowski aka Danny Hawk, of fraud, fraudulent inducement and breach of contract. He also sued Rumble Star Promotions LLC, a company Oliveira’s father, Carlos, formed with Hawk to promote Michael, according to the complaint in Miami-Dade County Court.
The fighter claims Hawk approached Carlos Oliveira about creating Rumble Star Promotions to advance his son’s boxing career. Hawk claimed that in exchange for being a co-owner of the venture, he would no longer charge Michael and Carlos for training or services, but would offer “his best efforts to advance Michael’s career,” according to the complaint.
The Oliveiras say they agreed a shareholder and promotional agreement with Hawk and gave $400,000 to Rumble Star Promotions. But the boxer claims Hawk failed to fulfill his agreement. During the first year, Oliveira says, he fought just five bouts, not the eight promised in the contract, which failed to specify the number of bouts for the second year.
“Additionally, Danny Hawk has not used his best efforts with regard to promoting and training Michael Oliveira,” the complaint states. It adds: “In fact, due to other financial situations, Hawk was in serious need of funds in order to avoid his eviction from his gym where he had been training other boxers and in fact required Carlos Oliveira to pay him sums contrary to his material representations and inducement that he would not be compensated whatsoever due to the fact that he was given the opportunity to participate in the Rumble Star Promotions LLC venture.
Now, Oliveira says, matchmakers in the boxing world will not allow him to fight due to his dispute with his promotions company.
Oliveira’s next fight is scheduled for March 25 in San Paulo, Brazil.
Oliveira and his father seek more than $400,000 in damages and termination of the shareholder and promotional agreement.
They are represented by Alan Fertel.