EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (CN) - A trip to PetSmart for grooming turned deadly for Lily the Yorkshire terrier when employees put her too close to a heater, the dog's owner claims in Madison County Arbitration Court.
Haley Nelson said she dropped off Lily at 1 p.m. on Feb. 22 and PetSmart employees negligently put the dog in a kennel next to a heater. Trapped, Lily's body temperature rose and PetSmart workers failed to recognize that she was extremely ill. Lily died of heat stroke and cardiac arrest and still had a body temperature of 106.2 degrees when Nelson picked her up that day at 6 p.m., according to the complaint
Nelson seeks damages for medical bills, another dog, loss of companionship, pain and suffering and emotional distress.
She is represented by Christopher Donohoo of Wood River, Ill.Follow @@joeharris_stl
Subscribe to Closing Arguments
Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.