Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Courthouse News Service
Wednesday, October 4, 2023 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Widow Says Pico de Gallo Killed Her Husband

HOUSTON (CN) - A widow claims her husband took the family to dinner to celebrate the success of his treatments for non-Hodgkins lymphoma, but he died from salmonella poisoning he contracted from the restaurant's pico de gallo. Five of the seven family members got ill from the contaminated condiment, the widow says.

Barbara Rivera says her husband, Raul, took the family to dinner at defendant Ninfa's Restaurant on May 21, "to celebrate good news from Raul's oncologist".

She says the only common dish consumed by the five family members who got sick was the pico de gallo. Raul died on June 4, "from complications attributable to his salmonella poisoning at Ninfa's Restaurant," according to the complaint in Harris County Court.

Pico de gallo (rooster's beak) is a common condiment made from chopped up tomatoes, onions, peppers, and sometimes cilantro, lime and salt.

The family is represented by Albert Hassler II.

Categories / Uncategorized

Read the Top 8

Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.