It feels like hardly a day goes by when you don't hear about the passage of a new, sweeping abortion law, an abortion-rights group challenging the law or another state weighing in on the treatment of transgender children, medically or within the school system. At the core of all this is bodily autonomy. How much say does an individual have over their own body?
The phrase "my body, my choice" has been often used by those seeking to defy public health orders for the past two years. Meanwhile, state lawmakers have made consequential decisions impacting the ability of Americans to make personal healthcare decisions, which are a matter of life and death.
In our sixth episode this season, we look at Texas Governor Greg Abbott ordering the state's Department of Family and Protective Services to investigate parents of transgender kids receiving gender-affirming care, a process he called "abusive." We also dive deeper into the fallout of the state's ban on abortions beyond six weeks of pregnancy and the copycat laws that have cropped up around the nation.
- Laura Briggs, professor of women, gender, sexuality studies at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Louise Melling, deputy legal director for the ACLU
- Kimberly Mutcherson, dean and professor of law at Rutgers Law School
Sidebar tackles the top stories you need to know from the legal world. Join reporters Bianca Bruno, Daniel Jackson, Amanda Pampuro and Nina Pullano as they take you in and out of courtrooms in the U.S. and beyond and break down developments to help you understand how they affect your day-to-day life.
This episode was produced by Kirk McDaniel. Intro music by The Dead Pens. A transcript of this episode is available.
Editorial staff is Bill Dotinga, Sean Duffy and Jamie Ross. Big thanks to Stephen Paulsen and Carson McCullough.
For more from Stephen and Carson on Texas and Idaho:
- Social workers are quitting over Texas’ anti-trans child care order
- Idaho Supreme Court temporarily blocks state law banning abortions after six weeks
- Planned Parenthood takes Idaho to court over Texas-styled abortion law
- Idaho governor signs Texas-styled abortion bill into law
Read the Top 8
Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.