SAN JOSE, Calif. (CN) - In the wake of a Shigella outbreak that has closed down the Mariscos San Juan No. 3 restaurant and spread across the Bay Area, two patrons of the restaurant sued after they got sick eating there.
Martin and Manuela Chavez's lawsuit filed Thursday in Santa Clara County Superior Court claims that sometime between Oct. 16 and Oct. 17, Mariscos San Juan No. 3 workers dodged safe food-handling procedures and served contaminated food to customers.
The couple mentions shrimp specifically in their 5-page complaint.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the Shigella bacteria cause shigellosis, an intestinal disease that causes diarrhea, which often is bloody, abdominal cramps and fever. Unfortunately for the restaurant, it is typically passed by contact with infected feces.
Santa Clara County health officials said Friday that the number of infections linked to Mariscos San Juan No. 3 has risen to 141, 118 of them Santa Clara County residents. Investigators believe the outbreak originated with an unidentified restaurant employee.
Officials shut down the restaurant on Oct. 18.
The Chavezes sued for personal injury, negligence and products liability and are represented by Robert Bohn Jr.
Neither Bohn nor the restaurant could immediately be reached for comment.
Read the Top 8
Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.