LOS ANGELES (CN) - The widow of a man killed at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino during last month's terror attack is seeking $58 million in damages from the county.
In December, Renee Wetzel filed four claims against the county in connection with the death of her 37-year-old husband, Michael Wetzel.
He was among the 14 people shot and killed by county worker Sayed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik in what authorities say is a massacre inspired by Islamic extremism.
On Dec. 2, Lake Arrowhead resident Wetzel, a supervising environmental health specialist, was attending the county employee lunch at the social services center where the couple opened fire.
He was a father of six children. Three of his children were from a previous marriage.
Renne Wetzel is demanding $3 million from the county for loss of wages and $25 million in general damages. She is also seeking $10 million in general damages for each of her children, according to the San Bernardino Sun.
Wetzel's Dec. 28 filing at the county's Risk Management Division alleges that the county could have prevented the death that she says stems from negligent and careless conduct on the county's behalf. The county and 25 unnamed individuals are respondents, the Sun reports.
"The county will carefully consider each claim and act in the best interests of everyone involved," County spokesman David Wert said in a statement.
Spokeswoman Felisa Cardona stated that no other claims have been filed over the attack.
After leaving the scene of the attack, Farook, a U.S. citizen and Malik, a Pakistani national, were killed in a gun fight with police.
Read the Top 8
Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.