San Bernardino Shooter’s Insurance Money Seized

     LOS ANGELES (CN) — A federal judge granted the government’s request to seize $275,000 in insurance that San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook obtained before last year’s terror attack.
     U.S. District Judge Jesus Bernal held a hearing on Aug. 5 and on the same day granted the government’s application for issuance of a warrant for the arrest of the benefits.
     Farook had named his mother Rafia Farook as the primary beneficiary of the policies but on June 8 insurer Minnesota Life Insurance deposited the money with the court clerk, where it remains in custody until further notice, Bernal wrote in an amended warrant.
     The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles says that Farook took out a $25,000 death benefit and a $250,000 supplemental life policy with Minnesota Life because he anticipated death by violent jihad during the Dec. 2 terror attack.
     Farook took out the policies while employed by San Bernardino County as a food inspector.
     According to the government, Farook began planning violent attacks in 2011. He obtained the policies after he purchased two firearms that he used during the attack on the Inland Regional Center, which left 14 dead and wounded 22 others.
     Farook and his wife Tatiana Farook both died in a gun battle with law enforcement on the streets of San Bernardino.
     “He anticipated dying in the course of the attack that day, and his expectation proved correct,” the government said in court papers. “In 2012 and 2013, Farook obtained substantial life insurance coverage so that when he died, his chosen beneficiary would receive $275,000.”
     Farook did not name Tatiana Farook as beneficiary. His sister Saira Khan was named as a contingent beneficiary.
     The government has said in court papers that it has a right to seize the money because it was derived from a terrorist act. U.S. Attorney Eileen Decker said the government intends to use the money to benefit victims of the attack.

%d bloggers like this: