DAYTON, Ohio (CN) - Pedigree dog food poisoned a family's dog with salmonella, and the wife was poisoned from it too and nearly died, the family says. Plaintiffs say dog food made at Mars PetCare's factory in Everson, Pa., in 2008 was infected with Salmonella Schwarzengrund bacteria, and that the same factory made dog food that poisoned 11 people with salmonella in 2006-07.
The complaint involves Pedigree Small Crunch Bites and/or Pedigree Large Breed Complete.
Darlene and David Minnick sued Mars PetCare and Kroger in Montgomery County Court.
"Some or all of the dog food manufactured at the Everson Factory in 2008 was infected with Salmonella Schwartzengrund bacteria," the Minnicks say. They say one of their dogs was hospitalized with salmonella in July 2008. A few days later, they say, Darlene Minnick failed to wake up, suffered cardiac arrest in the emergency room, also suffered kidney and liver failure and "a host of medical problems," including permanent brain damage due to lack of oxygen. The Minnicks have incurred more than $500,000 in medical bills and expect to incur another $1.5 million. They say infectious disease specialist say Darlene Minnick suffered from the same strain of salmonella poisoning that poisoned their dog.
"This same factory was the source of an earlier Salmonella Schwartzengrund outbreak that had occurred in 2006-07 and resulted in the hospitalization of at least eleven people and caused illness for many other people and their pets," according to the complaint.
Plaintiffs demand punitive damages. They are represented by Dwight Brannon.
Subscribe to Closing Arguments
Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.