(CN) – Saudi Arabia is preparing to admit journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, according to CNN and other U.S. media outlets.
On Monday afternoon CNN’s Clarissa Ward reported that the Saudi’s are preparing to says that an intelligence operations was carried out without proper clearance.
The kingdom will also reportedly try to distance Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman from the killing by explaining that Khashoggi’s death was “unintentional” and the result of a “botched operation” by Saudi agents.
President Donald Trump told reporters Monday that he was aware of the report but did not know if it was correct. He says the U.S. is working with Saudi Arabia and Turkey to figure out what happened.
Trump calls Khashoggi’s disappearance a “terrible situation.”
Earlier on Monday the New York Times reported that Saudi Arabia was planning to indicate the killing was done by an incompetent intelligence official.
Previously, reports out of Turkey suggest that Saudi agents working on orders from Riyadh killed and dismembered Khashoggi. Turkey said they have unreleased video and audio evidence of the incident.
Saudi Arabia has so far denied a role in Khashoggi’s disappearance.
The Associated Press contribued to this report.