(CN) – A Miami father claims in court that the Latin television network Telemundo aired an interview with his runaway daughter in which he was falsely accused of sexually and otherwise abusing her.
In a complaint filed in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court, plaintiff John Hernandez says that his daughter, Joleen Hernandez, had been reported as a “missing person,” and that Telemundo’s reporters interviewed her instead of notifying the authorities and her family that she had been found.
Hernandez claims the defamatory accusations were aired on November 25, 2014, during Telemundo’s “Un Nuevo Dia” morning show, hosted by defendant Rashel Diaz.
“Defendants made various accusations against plaintiff accusing him of sexually and physically abusing his daughter; that the plaintiff had an explosive character… and that on one particular occasion, plaintiff spat on her face,” the complaint says.
Hernandez claims in his Nov. 23 complaint that Telemundo created slanderous photos and videos of him and his daughter that were published online and on television without authorization.
According to Hernandez, Telemundo used his daughter and aired the false allegations “for their own personal gain and to entertain their millions of viewers worldwide.”
Hernandez is seeking compensatory damages on claims of defamation, conspiracy to defame, injurious falsehood, intentional infliction of emotional distress and outrage.
He is represented by Richard Diaz from Coral Gables, Fla.
A Telemundo spokesperson said the company does not comment on pending litigation.