SEATTLE (CN) – After a McDonald’s customer returned a squashed hamburger, an “unhappy” employee retaliated by dousing the new hamburger with cleaning solution, the customer claims in King County Court.
Joseph Jackson says he immediately noticed a “bad taste, tingling and stinging in his mouth” and threw the burger away. The next morning, he claims he woke up in pain with blisters inside his mouth and went to the emergency room.
He had a caustic chemical burn from bleach, which could have been prevented had McDonald’s properly supervised its employees, he says.
Jackson wants the fast-food joint to reimburse him for his medical expenses and to compensate him for the alleged pain, suffering and emotional anguish he suffered.