(CN) — A man claims in court a defective battery in his electronic cigarette exploded in his pants, burning his legs, groin and penis so badly that he needed an emergency circumcision.
As recounted in the Oct. 14 complaint, Michael Halfmann bought a Samsung INR18650 lithium-ion battery to power his electronic cigarette, but one month later, while in a fast food restaurant, the battery ignited while in his right pants pocket. Halfmann claims the heat from the battery burned through his pants, underwear and onto his bare skin, causing severe third-degree burns to his legs, penis and groin area.
Halfmann says he was taken from the restaurant by ambulance to the hospital where he stayed for more than a week receiving treatment for his injuries.
Two weeks after his discharge, plaintiff says he was readmitted to the hospital because of an infection and he needed an emergency circumcision to prevent the infection from spreading further.
Plaintiff sued Samsung SDI America Inc. and Hwy 9 Vapor LLC for negligence, breach of warranty, failure to warn and product liability because defendants "knew or should have known that said battery was unreasonably dangerous when being used in a foreseeable manner."
Plaintiff is represented by Jeremy Knowles of Birmingham, Alabama.
Read the Top 8
Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.