Updates to our Terms of Use

We are updating our Terms of Use. Please carefully review the updated Terms before proceeding to our website.

Wednesday, July 17, 2024 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Man Blames Wife’s Death on German Hair Spray

ATLANTA (CN) - A man says his asthmatic wife died after using a hair spray to highlight her hair. Leslie Dew says his late wife Cindy died from inhaling Goldwell Oxycur Platin Lightening Powder Dust Free, made by KPSS-Kao Professional Salon Services, a German company.

Dew claims the company failed to warn that its product creates dust and is an "inhalation sensitizer and thus pose[s] potential dangers to users."

In his federal complaint, Dew says his wife developed asthma through her work as a hairdresser, where she was exposed to "multiple chemical dusts and fumes throughout her career."

Since she was asthmatic and KPSS-Kao advertised its product as being dust-free Cindy Dew chose the product to use for professional work and on her own hair, her husband says.

But he says that after mixing the product to use on her hair, Dew suffered a "severe asthmatic respiratory reaction" caused by inhaling it, and went into respiratory and cardiac arrest.

Days later, doctors pronounced her brain dead, her life support was removed and she died, her husband says. He seeks damages for her pain and suffering, negligence, strict liability and failure to warn.

He is represented by Steven R. Wisebram with Finch McCranie LLP.

Categories / Uncategorized

Subscribe to Closing Arguments

Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.

Loading...