Last Charges Dismissed |in Freddie Gray Case

     (CN) — Prosecutors on Wednesday dropped remaining charges against officers awaiting trial for the death of Freddie Gray, ending the case without a single conviction.
     After failing to secure convictions in four previous cases, Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby’s team announced the decision at what would have been the first day of pretrial hearings for Officer Garrett Miller, who was facing charges of assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment.
     The move put to rest high-profile criminal cases for six officers who were charged in the death of the 25-year-old Gray, who died after sustaining a severe spinal cord injury while in police custody.
     Gray’s death sparked outrage in the majority black city of Baltimore and violent protests erupted the day of Gray’s funeral on April 27, 2015. A day of rioting, looting and arson was quickly quelled after the governor called in the National Guard.
     The move comes amidst calls for Mosby to reconsider prosecution of the officers after Judge Barry Williams already acquitted three of them.
     Lt. Brian Rice, the fourth officer tried in the case, was acquitted on all charges last week.
     Williams also acquitted Officers Edward Nero and Caesar Goodson Jr. of all charges in May and June, respectively.
     The first trial, of Officer William Porter, ended in a hung jury and mistrial in December.
     Williams was expected to preside over the remaining cases against Officers Alicia White and Miller, as well as the retrial of Porter, which was scheduled for September. White was scheduled to be tried in October.
     The end of prosecution also lifts the gag order Williams had placed on any party involved in the case, allowing Miller’s attorney to make a statement follow the proceedings.
     “All of our clients are thrilled with what happened today, and we’ll be making a comment later to address the details of what happened,” Catherine Flynn, Miller’s attorney, said outside the courthouse Wednesday.
     Prosecutors and defense attorneys have news conferences scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.
     Gray died a week after his arrest on April 12, 2015, when he suffered a severe spinal cord injury in the back of a Baltimore police transport van.
     Prosecutors had claimed Gray was illegally arrested, and that officers did not secure him with a seat belt in the back of the van or call a medic when he said he wanted to go to the hospital.
     Hundreds rioted in Baltimore on the day of Gray’s funeral, protesting a culture of police arrogance and excessive force, especially with regard to black arrestees like Gray.
     On the morning of Gray’s arrest, officers threw him in a police van for a 45-minute ride to the Western District Police Station.
     A medical examiner who ruled Gray’s death a homicide testified that Gray sustained the injury that killed him somewhere between the second and fourth stops of the six-stop journey.
     A paramedic did not treat Gray until officers swung open the van doors at the police station to find their ward unconscious.

%d bloggers like this: