Updates to our Terms of Use

We are updating our Terms of Use. Please carefully review the updated Terms before proceeding to our website.

Tuesday, July 23, 2024 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Landmark Srebrenica Trial to Resume in Serbia

A Serbian appeals court says the landmark trial of eight former Bosnian Serb police officers charged with taking part in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre can resume following a suspension.

BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — A Serbian appeals court says the landmark trial of eight former Bosnian Serb police officers charged with taking part in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre can resume following a suspension.

The trial was halted in July because charges in the case had been filed at a time Serbia was without a chief war crimes prosecutor. The new prosecutor, Snezana Stanojkovic, then filed a request to resume the proceedings.

No date was immediately set Wednesday for the future hearings.

The trial is seen as a test of Serbia's pledge to punish war criminals as it formally seeks European Union membership — and an important step in Balkan reconciliation more than two decades after the Bosnian war.

Some 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed by Bosnian Serb troops in Srebrenica.

Categories / Appeals, Courts, Government, International, Politics, Trials

Subscribe to Closing Arguments

Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.

Loading...