SAN FRANCISCO (CN) – Instagram asked a federal judge to dismiss claims over terms of service that the popular photo-sharing company adopted earlier this year.
The proposed federal class action lawsuit, filed in San Francisco in December by Instagram user Lucy Funes, accused the service of breach of contract after it announced changes to its terms of service that would become effective in January 2013.
Funes said that the company’s claim to have the right to use people’s pictures in perpetuity and restrict how they can seek redress constitutes illegal misappropriation of property and violates California civil codes as well as Instagram’s own former terms.
After announcing its terms-of-services changes, Instagram, which was bought by Facebook last year, quickly backpedaled in the face of widespread complaints from users who feared that their photos would be sold or used for ads without permission. Instagram announced a revision to the new changes, replacing the advertising provision with its prior terms. Funes’ suit was filed the day after this announcement.
In Wednesday’s motion to dismiss, Instagram says Funes has no right to bring her claim because she could have deleted her account before the changes took place. She did not, however, and has continued to access her account since enactment of the changes on Jan. 19.
Funes also claimed in her suit that the new sublicensable, transferable, nonexclusive license to content that users post through the Instagram service violates California law.
Instagram argues that Funes cannot “plausibly claim harm because Instagram required users under its new terms to agree to” that deal “in exchange for their free use of Instagram’s service.”
“A non-exclusive license (whether or not it is ‘transferable’ and ‘sub-licensable’) does not, as a matter of law, diminish a user’s property rights,” it wrote. “And, again, plaintiff could have terminated her account if she did not wish to grant Instagram such a license.”
Instagram is represented by Mazda Antia with Cooley LLP in San Diego.
A hearing date is set for April 4.
- Supposed Beirut Bomb Victims Have Ways to Go
- Judge Describes Violence That Led to Choking