(CN) - An Aurora, Ill., man pleaded guilty to charges accusing him of planning an attack on a U.S. military base, the Justice Department said Wednesday.
Jonas Edmonds pleaded guilty to one count of conspiring to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or ISIL, and one count of making a materially false statement to a law enforcement officer about an offense involving international terrorism, according to a U.S. Justice Department news release.
Edmonds, 30, planned to carry out an armed attack at the U.S. Army National Guard base in Joliet, Ill., the government says. The plan allegedly called for his cousin, Hasan Edmonds, who had been training at the facility, to provide military uniforms and a list of officers for Edmonds to kill.
Edmonds and his cousin also planned for Hasan to travel to the Middle East "for the purpose of waging violence on behalf of ISIL," the government press release states. Edmonds admitted to supporting his cousin's travel.
Edmonds faces up to 23 years in prison if convicted of both counts. He is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 27, 2016.
His cousin has been charged separately and has a court appearance scheduled for Dec. 14.