MINNEAPOLIS (CN) – The production company behind “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives” sued the Food Network in District Court for failing to provide a host for upcoming seasons of the popular series – implying that fan favorite Guy Fieri is out.
A Food Network spokesman denied the suggestion in an interview with Courthouse News but refused to comment any further about the lawsuit.
“We look forward to continuing to work with Guy Fieri to produce future original episodes of his popular show ‘Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,'” spokesman Irika Slavin said.
In the complaint filed Friday, Page Television and Video Productions says Television Food Network G.P. has failed to meet its obligations under the series production contract, which has been in effect since 2007.
Page Television claims that the Food Network breached its contract by “failing to provide the services of the host and failing to make payments required by the Contract.”
David Page, president of Page Television and executive producer of the series, says he has been producing the series under contract since the program first aired in November 2006.
One amendment of the contract “governs seasons 12, 13 and 14 of the Series and requires Page to produce and deliver 39 episodes of the Series according to guidelines provided by TVFN and according to a production and delivery schedule set forth in the Contract in return for certain payments,” according to the complaint.
But Food Network has informed Page Television that it will “not comply with its obligations under the Contract and would not allow Page to produce the Series after Season 12,” according to the complaint.
Page Television seeks unspecified damages for breach of contract and bad faith. It is represented by David R. Marshall of Fredrikson & Byron. The attorney did not respond to a request for comment by Courthouse News.
Fieri came to host “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives” after taking the top honors in the 2006 “Food Network Star” competition. He also hosts “Guy’s Big Bite” on the Food Network and NBC’s “Minute to Win It.” Last week, he announced that he and Rachael Ray would co-host a new Food Network show called “Guy vs. Rachael’s Celebrity Smackdown.”