HOUSTON (CN) - Before their house exploded, a gas company worker told homeowners that all they needed to do was open the windows to take care of the odor of gas, the couple claims in Harris County Court. Joe and Mary Rocha say the Centerpoint Energy worker ignored obvious signs of a gas leak.
The Rochas say the rushed and frustrated Centerpoint technician failed to investigate obvious danger signs, such as his lighting a water heater pilot light and the unmistakable smell of gas throughout the home.
While leaving, he told them the odor would clear if they opened the windows, the Rochas say. But when the tenants closed them, the house filled with gas, then exploded, injuring the tenants.
The Rochas seek damages for lost rental income and repairs. They are represented by Craig Welscher of Houston.
Subscribe to Closing Arguments
Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.