(CN) - New York federal prosecutors issued a subpoena Monday for documents from President Donald Trump's inaugural committee that cover its finances and donors to determine if foreign agents made illegal donations to it.
It was reported last year by the Wall Street Journal that federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York were examining if donors to the committee paid for access to the president, which would potentially violate federal laws against corruption. The committee raised and spent $107 million on the inauguration and related events.
The subpoena issued Monday asked the committee for "all documents" about committee donors and vendors, as well as possible benefits received by donors after contributing, according to the Journal which said it reviewed a copy of it.
Committee spokeswoman Kristin Celauro said the committee was still reviewing the subpoena.
“It is our intention to cooperate with the inquiry,” she told The Associated Press Monday evening.
The subpoena also asked the committee to produce documents on donations "made by or on behalf of foreign nationals, including but not limited to any communications regarding or relating to the possibility of donations by foreign nationals,” according to the Journal.
There is no mention of committee head Tom Barrack Jr. in the subpoena, according to the newspaper. Barrack, a friend of Trump's, was interviewed by Special Counsel investigators in 2017 as part of Rober Mueller's investigation into possible collusion between Russian officials and the Trump campaign during the 2016 election.
Federal prosecutors are looking into whether anyone from Middle Eastern countries made payments to the committee, according to a New York Times report published last year. Foreign donations made to inaugural committees are not allowed under federal law.
Subscribe to Closing Arguments
Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.