Feds Require Claims |for Stoploss Pay

     WASHINGTON (CN) – The Defense Department is accepting applications for armed service members to receive $500 for any part of a month served during President George W. Bush’s “Stop Loss” program.

     The program extended service in the military and stopped eligibility for retirement to keep people from leaving the military after the events of Sept. 11, 2001.
     Under the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2009, the department must notify current or former service members when official records indicate their potential eligibility for retroactive stop loss special pay.
     The department must estimate the number of eligible months and the projected special pay amount and include that in the notice. However, a claim is still required, even by the families of deceased service members.
     Claims may be submitted until Oct. 21, 2010 to the Secretaries of the Military Departments for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay. Reserve members may apply for compensation for times of active service.

Exit mobile version