Updates to our Terms of Use

We are updating our Terms of Use. Please carefully review the updated Terms before proceeding to our website.

Wednesday, May 22, 2024 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Farmer Shocked|at Cows’ Drying Up

EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (CN) - Stray electrical currents shocked cows so badly they stopped producing milk, a dairy farmer claims in Madison County Court.

Blaine Hilmes, who owns a dairy farm in Carlyle, Ill., claims his cows were shocked by stray voltage due to the negligence of Southwestern Electric Cooperative.

Hilmes says his cattle became nonproductive, suffered damage to their udders and reproductive problems and eventually had to be sold for beef because they stopped producing milk due to the shocks.

He claims Southwestern Electric failed to properly install and maintain its power system, to warn him of the dangers of its system, to install proper safety devices, to prevent stray voltage from being transmitted, and to meet the standards of the National Electric Safety Code.

Hilmes seeks damages for negligence, product liability, nuisance, breach of contract, breach of warranty and consumer fraud.

He is represented by Ryan Rich, with Wham & Wham, of Centralia.

Follow @@joeharris_stl
Categories / Uncategorized

Subscribe to Closing Arguments

Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.

Loading...