Driver Charged After Gunfight With LAPD

     LOS ANGELES (CN) – An 18-year-old man who was found hiding in a Dumpster after a “rolling gun battle” with the LAPD that left one person dead was charged Wednesday with the attempted murder of a peace officer.
     Avel Jowan Turks faces 16 felony counts, including include six counts of attempted murder of a peace officer, six counts of using an assault weapon on a peace officer, and one count each of shooting at an occupied motor vehicle, evading police and possession for sale of cocaine base, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said.
     Turks, who also faces gun and gang allegations, was arraigned Wednesday afternoon.
     Prosecutors asked for bailed to be set at $4.1 million.
     If convicted, Turks could receive a life sentence.
     “Turks is the suspected driver of a Chevrolet Tahoe that led police on a high-speed chase that turned into a moving gun battle and ended after an LAPD officer was seriously wounded and one suspect was fatally shot,” the district attorney said in a statement.
     “The pursuit began after 2 a.m. Monday when police tried to pull over the SUV’s driver near Florence Avenue and Figueroa Street.
     “The driver instead took off on the northbound Harbor Freeway. Shots were fired at police during the chase and later when the SUV crashed. After two men bolted from the SUV, one engaged in a gun battle with police and was fatally shot. Turks was later arrested.”
     Los Angeles Police Department is investigating the case.
     The wounded police officer was part of the SWAT team that shot and killed the second man, identified as Andre Maurice Jones, 37.
     Los Angeles Times said the officer was treated for a shattered left leg bone after a shot fired by Jones went through his calf.
     The charges come after the Friday arrest of Bell Gardens resident Frankie Estrada, who was charged Tuesday with the attempted murder of a sheriff’s deputy. Estrada allegedly beat the sheriff’s deputy unconscious at the Lakewood Mall. The deputy was hospitalized and remains in a serious condition, the D.A.’s office said.

%d bloggers like this: