DOJ Report Sheds Graphic Light|on San Bernardino Terror Attack

     LOS ANGELES (CN) — Federal officials revealed Friday that three people were shot as they charged either Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik during last year’s terror attack at the San Bernardino Inland Regional Center.
     “Bringing Calm to Chaos,” a critical-incident review of the response to the Dec. 2 terrorist shooting that led to 22 injuries and 14 deaths paints a graphic picture of the third-deadliest attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.
     According to the report, employees were seated in a conference room at the social services center for a training day. At around 10:30 a.m., Farook rose from his chair after looking at his phone and left his bag behind.
     About 30 minutes later the group took a break from watching training videos when Farook — masked and clad in tactical gear — burst into the room and opened fire.
     Some of those present initially thought that they were in the middle of a training exercise, according to the report.
     “A handful of workers sprinted for a door on the far side of where the shooter stood that led into the complex. Someone screamed ‘get down’ as some took cover under tables. Others just stood there, either incredulous at what was happening or believing it was an active-shooting drill,” the report states.
     A visual representation of the event that the Justice Department published online along with the report states that a second shooter, Farook’s wife Tashfeen Malik, entered the room and fired. A bullet hit the fire sprinkler system, sending water gushing out of a pipe, the online report says.
     “The water, the smoke and the darkness of the room made it difficult for anyone to see. Three male county workers tried to stop the shooters by rushing one of the gunmen but all three were shot. The shooters walked between tables throughout the room firing shots at anybody who moved or made a sound,” the online report says.
     The shooters fired more than 100 .223-caliber rounds from the AR-15 rifles and handguns they used in the attack before fleeing in a black SUV parked outside the center.
     The carnage that greeted the first four patrol officers on the scene was horrific, the report says.
     “The four officers stared into the conference room. It looked like a bomb had gone off. Bodies were strewn across the floor. Many had devastating wounds. Blood was everywhere. The smell of gunpowder filled their nostrils and the sprinklers sounded like they were hissing,” the report states.
     Six hours after the attack, FBI SWAT agents discovered explosive devices that Farook had left in the room, the report states.
     Farook and Malik later died in a gun battle with law enforcement on the streets of San Bernardino.
     “Altogether, 24 officers fired at least 440 shots at the vehicle. Several officers felt bullets whizzing by as they exited their vehicles approximately 80 yards back, one later describing a scene so strangely serene that he could clearly hear his own breathing. The suspects fired at least 81 rounds at officers,” the reports states.
     In a statement, U.S. Attorney for Central District of California Eileen Decker commended first responders’ bravery.
     “The report also underscores the horror and suffering of the many victims during this calculated and vicious attack. These victims had no chance to protect themselves as a result of the callous perpetration of violence, while others heroically sacrificed themselves in an attempt to stop the shooting,” Decker said. “In the face of this unfathomable suffering, the law enforcement personnel and citizens who put themselves in harm’s way to help others exemplifies the very best that our country has to offer.”

%d bloggers like this: