COLUMBIA, S.C. - Diamond Pet Foods will pay $3.1 million for poisoning dozens of dogs with pet food contaminated with aflatoxin in 2005, an attorney for one of many plaintiffs who sued Diamond said today (Friday). Diamond agreed to set up a fund to pay up to $1,000 per dog and $1,000 for veterinarian services per dog, wire services reported. Aflatoxin is a toxic mold that grows on corn. This case is not related to the more recent melamine poisoning from Chinese-produced pet food.
Subscribe to Closing Arguments
Sign up for new weekly newsletter Closing Arguments to get the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and hot cases and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world.