PHILADELPHIA (CN) – The former Pennsylvania prosecutor who turned down the chance over a decade ago to press charges against Bill Cosby has reached a settlement of defamation claims brought by Andrea Constand.
Cheered today for being the only one of dozens of Cosby accusers whose claims were not too old to prosecute, Constand initially came forward against the comedian in 2005.
At the time Constand had just left a job at Temple University after Cosby, the school’s most famous alumnus, had drugged and assaulted her.
Bruce Castor was district attorney for Montgomery County at the time but opted not to prosecute. It would be another 10 years before Cosby was arrested, charged and then in 2018 convicted by current Montgomery DA Kevin Steele.
On the road to what would be two trials for Cosby meanwhile Castor and Constand countersued each other for defamation. While Castor accused Constand of destroying his political career, Constand said the former DA spewed lies about her to help his election campaign.
Judge Ann Butchart in the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas dismissed Castor’s claims last year, however, leaving only Constand’s suit still pending.
With trial set to begin in April 2019, the parties quietly settled Thursday.
Dolorus Troiani, attorney for Constand, was not in her office for comment but told the Associated Press that the terms of the settlement are confidential and that both sides had agreed not to comment.
Castor likewise has not returned a request for comment.
Cosby was sentenced to 3-10 years at a state prison near Philadelphia.