CLAYTON, Mo. (CN) – A man says he was blinded in one eye by an exploding bottle of Coca-Cola.
Patrick Murphy says he bought two 2-liter bottles of Caffeine Free Diet Coke on Dec. 29, 2009, and left them in the trunk of his car until Jan. 5, 2010.
He says the soda was frozen solid when he brought it into his home. Shortly thereafter, one of the bottles exploded, sending shards of plastic into his left eye.
“Plaintiff’s left retina was detached and shredded; plaintiff is now and will forever be blind in his left eye as a result thereof,” according to the complaint in St. Louis County Court.
Murphy says he spent more than $27,000 in medical bills and has lost an undetermined amount of wages.
He seeks damages from Coca Cola Enterprises and Southeastern Container for negligence, product liability and failure to warn, and damages from Schnuck Markets, where he bought the Coke, for negligence and breach of implied warranty.
He is represented by Matthew Casey with Casey & Devoti in St. Louis.
- Agency Recognizes|New Wine Areas