Bomb Threat Closes|Las Vegas Freeway

     LAS VEGAS (CN) — Police closed a section of Interstate 15 south of Las Vegas Wednesday when a man claimed to have a bomb on a bus. He did not; he was arrested and no one was hurt.
     A Silver Line tour bus was carrying 53 passengers toward Los Angeles at around noon when a man said he had a bomb and would not let anyone off the bus.
     Nevada Highway Patrolman Jason Buratczuk told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that a passenger called his grandmother to tell her what was happening, and the grandmother called the police.
     The bus was stopped near the Sloan exit, just south of Las Vegas, and police closed the freeway and diverted traffic. Police searched the bus, found nothing and determined it was safe. Police, FBI and ATF agents questioned the man, but did not identify him. He is in jail. The highway was reopened just after 1 p.m.
     A Regional Transportation Commission bus picked up the passengers, and medical staff were on hand to help if anyone became ill in the 103-degree heat.
     The I-15 corridor connecting Las Vegas to Southern California averages 44,419 vehicles per day and annually brings more visitors to Las Vegas than any other form of transportation, according to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Bureau.
     About 25 percent of the visitors to Las Vegas come from Southern California. Las Vegas had a record 42,312,216 visitors in 2015, and more are expected this year.
     The Clark County Commission on Tuesday enacted an ordinance banning backpacks, coolers, bags and strollers on the Las Vegas Strip during large events, such as the annual New Years’ Eve fireworks celebration, which draws more visitors to the Strip than any other event.
     The commission also banned purses bigger than 12 inches by 12 inches by 6 inches, as well as briefcases, camera and computer bags, coolers, carts and fanny packs during the large events. Las Vegas is the seat of Clark County.
     Visitors last year were asked not to bring backpacks, bags and strollers, but it wasn’t illegal. Under the new ordinance, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police can cite or arrest violators, but police said they will begin by just issuing warnings.

%d bloggers like this: