Sunday, November 27, 2022 | Back issues
Courthouse News Service Courthouse News Service

Bad Syringe Killed Mother, Family Says

(CN) - A Nebraska family claims Baxter Healthcare killed their mother with a prefilled saline flush syringe contaminated by Serratia Marcescens bacteria. She died of sepsis in January 2008.

The late Edwards Thompson Jr. was hospitalized in October 2007 for respiratory failure requiring mechanical ventilation. During her stay, she was treated with a prefilled saline flush syringe and Heparin, according to the complaint in Douglas County Court, Omaha.

Two months later, she was moved to Specialty Select Hospital in Omaha, where she was treated again a prefilled saline flush syringe, the complaint states.

As her treatment continued, her condition declined rapidly. She died on Jan. 27, 2008, of an infection caused by syringes that were contaminated with Serratia Marcescens bacteria, the family says.

Defendants include Baxter Healthcare Corporation, Baxter International Inc., AM2PAT Inc. aka Sierra Prefilled Inc., B. Braun Medical Inc., Select Specialty Hospital - Omaha Inc., Dr. Ronald Anderson, Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital, and Dr. Daniel Einspahr.

The Thompson Estate is represented by Theresa Gase of Omaha, Neb.

Read the Top 8

Sign up for the Top 8, a roundup of the day's top stories delivered directly to your inbox Monday through Friday.

Loading
Loading...