Air Force Base Shooter Killed One, Then Self

     SAN ANTONIO, Texas (CN) – A shooter who opened fire at Lackland Air Force Base on Friday morning killed one victim and then himself, authorities said.
     After responding to reports of an active shooter just after 8:30 a.m. at the air force base in San Antonio, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office found two bodies inside a room of a building.
     A spokesman for the sheriff’s office said the shooter is believed to be among the dead. Their identities have not yet been released, pending notification to family.
     After local authorities contained the scene and declared it safe, the base’s lockdown order had been lifted within two hours.
     The base said in a statement that an investigation of the incident is underway, but “there are no indications that this was a terrorist attack.”
     They said the shooting occurred near building 147 at JBSA Lackland in the Medina Training Annex.
     Authorities from multiple law-enforcement agencies spent Friday morning clearing buildings inside the sprawling military base, one of three in the city that make up Joint Base San Antonio, including Fort Sam Houston and Randolph Air Force Base.
     Lackland is about 160 miles north of Fort Hood, where a gunman in 2009 killed 13 people and injured another 32 in what is known as the deadliest mass murder at a U.S. military base.
     Maj. Nidal Hasan was found guilty in the shooting and sentenced to death.
     The San Antonio air force base has a population of about 9,900, according to 2010 census figures.

%d bloggers like this: