Death Blamed on Smoking 'Potpourri'

     INDEPENDENCE, Mo. (CN) - A man died from smoking synthetic marijuana, or "potpourri" that he bought in the back room of a gas station, his mother claims in court.
     Tammy Bryant sued Asra LLC dba 40 Highway Sinclair and Sinclair Oil Corp. this week in Jackson County Circuit Court.
     Bryant's son, Kevin Wahlers, died after smoking the potpourri.
     "Defendants sold the type of potpourri that killed decedent out of a back room,
     wherein a cardboard display containing numerous types of similar leaf substances were displayed and sold to consumers within the state of Missouri," the complaint states.
     Bryant claims the defendants knew that customers were smoking the potpourri.
     "Defendant Sinclair at all times relevant to the decedent's death had a systematic
     failure to exercise ordinary care in the operation of its stations in Missouri with respect to selling the type of potpourri that killed decedent, specifically the kind that is smoked by its users and that has an appearance similar to marijuana, and that is sold at a premium price compared to the substance that is actually used to odorize a room or household," the complaint states.
     Bryant seeks aggravated damages for strict liability and negligence. She is represented by Robert C. Sullivan in Kansas City, Mo.