Families Say Aaron Hernandez Executed 2012 Roadway Murders
BOSTON (CN) - Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriot charged with murder, is also responsible for an unsolved double homicide, families claim in court.
Police have not charged Hernandez with regard to the July 16, 2012, murders of Daniel DeAbreu and Safiro Furtado, but a search warrant published last month by the Associated Press indicates that Hernandez could be a suspect.
Hernandez has been held without bail on unrelated charges that he murdered his friend Odin Lloyd on June 17, 2013. The former tight end, who had signed a $37.5 million five-year contract with the Patriots before his arrest, has pleaded not guilty to that crime.
The brother of DeAbreu and the father of Furtado filed six-page complaints against Hernandez on Wednesday in Suffolk County Superior Court.
Neither complaint mentions the other or the three men who survived the shooting, as described in the warrant.
The warrant says DeAbreu had been driving a BMW with Furtado in the front passenger seat when the shooting occurred at approximately 2:30 a.m. on July 16, 2012, at the intersection of Shawmut Avenue and Herald Street in Boston.
DeAbreu had three other friends in the backseat of the BMW when an SUV pulled alongside and someone from the backseat of that vehicle fired six shots into the BMW, according to witness statements quoted in the warrant. Two of the passengers in the backseat of the BMW escaped unscathed, while a third sustained bullet wounds to each arm, the warrant says.
Both civil complaints name Hernandez as the individual who "willfully, recklessly and/or maliciously shot a firearm from inside of his motor vehicle into the motor vehicle" that left DeAbreu and Furtado dead.
"The fatal attack was without provocation or justification," according to the complaints.
Admilson DeAbreu and Salvador Furtado each seek $6 million in damages for wrongful death. They are represented by William Kennedy of Quincy.